Massaged Kale Salad
- 10 oz. kale (Dino kale works best)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon or a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or feta
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 cup fresh orange segments or canned mandarins (optional)
Remove and discard the stems from the kale. Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl with 1/8 teaspoon salt and the olive oil. Grab the leaves by the handful and massage them for a minute or two. The coarse, stiff leaves will turn soft and smooth. You will end up with about half the volume of kale you started with.
Add the fruit, cheese, onion and nuts Stir well to combine. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad and stir to coat.