STUFFED VEGGIE AND CHEESE EGGPLANT
- 2 small eggplants**
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ cup shredded low-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
**Use small eggplants about ½ pound each. Larger eggplants will be more bitter.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim the stems from the eggplant, and cut them in half lengthwise. Cut the pulp from the center of each half, leaving about ½ inch of flesh. Cube the eggplant pulp into ½ inch pieces.
- Place a large sauté pan over moderate heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, zucchini, black pepper, and the cubed eggplant. Cook, stirring until very tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, thyme and basil.
- Lightly spray the cut edges of the eggplant halves with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon one quarter of the vegetable mixture into each shell. Top each eggplant with ¼ of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Place the stuffed eggplants in the prepared baking pan and bake until the eggplant is hot and the cheese is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
*adapted from SparkPeople.com