LOW FAT GUACAMOLE
1 cup canned green peas, rinsed and drained or 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas.
1 ripe avocado
½ cup salsa
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- If using fresh or frozen peas, blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes to soften. Drain well and immediately rinse under cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Twist to separate the halves, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh.
- For chunky guacamole: mash the avocado and peas together using a potato masher or fork.
- For a creamier texture: combine the avocado and peas in a food processor.
- Add the salsa, lemon juice, green onion, cilantro, garlic and cumin and stir or process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Guacamole is best served the day it is made but if you have leftover, store in tightly covered container in the refrigerator. Guacamole will keep for up to 1 day.
Adapted from Neal Barnard, MD recipe